[pianotech] Fw: Kawai Bushing

Michael Laffan mikeybum at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 18:36:39 MDT 2009

Hello All
Seeing as how there's been talk of bushing over the past few days, I'd like in on the act!! Anyone got advice on bushing a Kawai grand? I found some mention of it on the list back in 2004, but I couldn't find a full answer.
This is what I've done so far:1 full bushing with hot hide glue: bushings loose, pulled out easily with tweezersAnother partial bushing with hot hide glue : bushings still loose - easily pulled outSamples of Bolduc glue: holding a little better, but not greatSamples of Westle Nickel & Gross Action Glue: no good at all.
Brushed all mortices with thin hide glue solution, and let dry. Then tried samples of hot hide glue and Bolduc. These I've left overnight to see what happens in the morning, but I'm not really
 confident. I know this is all to probably to do with the glue Kawai uses, and the trick is finding a glue that adheres to its residue.  I've read about tri-sodium phosphate for purging the wood, but I don't know how to apply this, or how well it works.
Anyone out there got some tips?.Obviously, my boss isn't paying me to set up a Key-Bushing Research Centre for the coming few days, so I'd like to get this thing DONE!
Cheers allMike

2618-A Battleground Ave., Box 187

Greensboro NC 27408

USA