[pianotech] Yet another glue

Court Stewart calexste at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 08:00:47 MDT 2009

There's a glue called Fabri-tac manufactured by Beacon adhesives in the US.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/fabritac.html

It's strong.  It dries clear and not too hard.   It's in an acetone base and
may be thinned.  It sticks cloth to everything but metal.  I contacted the
manufacturer to find out exactly what was in it but all they'd tell me is
it's in an acetone base.  Which it says on the bottle already.

Now, I have no interest in putting this stuff in a piano as we've got lots
of great glues already.  However, I once used it to reglue a bass damper I
was going to be replacing the next day and the felt failed before the bond
when I attempted to pull the damper off.  It's strong.  I dripped a little
acetone onto the glue area and the damper then fell off about 20 seconds
later.

I have an old Steinway upright I've been slowly restoring -- it was a high
use piano and had had many different technicians working on it over its 100
year life time.  It's got some poorly hung hammers that I'd been struggling
to get some decent tone out of for awhile and will be replacing.  I decided
to try this glue for voicing with something like a 1:15 ratio with acetone.
Hey, it's my piano :).  I've got to say that I really like the result  -- in
fact better than I'd hoped.  It takes a few hours for tone to really start
showing and continues to brighten over a few days.  The tone is quite
controllable and the hammers are very responsive to needling.

Has anybody else played with this stuff?  I'd be really interested to know
what others think of it as a voicing agent.  Please tell me why this should
never be put within 20 feet of a piano.  Or tell me if you think it sounds
neat.

If you have a Michael's craft store you can buy some there, and in fact I
may have seen some in Wal-Mart, though what are the chances of being able to
find one of those places?

Court Stewart
Roanoke Chapter