[pianotech] Door open, but customer not home - what would you do?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jul 15 11:25:17 MDT 2009

I would only do this if the customer was well established.  I did have
several who would just leave after letting me in and leave a check!  One
customer, however, I never met in person!  He would call me for an
appointment and told me to get the key from the neighbor. I would go in,
tune, check was always on the music desk,  There were no photographs
anywhere, so I never even knew what he looked like!!  We were both
comfortable with the arrangement, but it was discussed before my first
appointment.

Paul

Joseph Rosenberg <rosenbergpiano at gmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
07/15/2009 11:51 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[pianotech] Door open, but customer not home - what would you do?

I made an appointment with a customer that was 90 miles / 2 hr. drive (one
way) from me.

I called before I left to confirm that someone would be there, and they
said they would be there.

When I got there, the gate opened up to let me in. There were two cars out
front. The front door was open, the screen door was ajar, and there was a
TV set on very loudly. A dog barked for a few minutes, and then was quiet.

I rang the bell a number of times, knocked on the door, yelled inside,
walked around the house to see if they were outside, called their phone
but got a voice mail.

After about 15 minutes, I walked around to a side door that was open. The
piano was right there. I went in, kept yelling "Hello", and proceeded to
tune the piano.

As I was finishing the tuning, the customers came home. They didn't say
anything about me being in the house alone, or who let me in.

I'd like to know what other tuners would do in this situation.

Thanks.

Joe Rosenberg