[pianotech] Door open, but customer not home - what would you do?

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jul 15 11:21:37 MDT 2009

Joe

Considering that the customer confirmed that you were coming that day, that the customer left the door unlocked, that the dog didn't eat you alive, and that the piano was visible from the door you entered, AND you yelled, screamed, phoned, etc, to let someone know you were there, I think in this situation, you were OK to let yourself in and tune the piano.

That's this case. In other cases, unless just about all of the above were true, I would be hesitant. I have entered homes where the front door was open, but I knew the customer, and they told me ahead of time they might be late getting home, or were running errands.

At most, I would wait at least a half an hour, and then leave a message. I might include in the message that if they want you to come back, it would cost them extra, for the inconvenience of being stood up.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943