[pianotech] Door open, but customer not home - what would you do?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jul 15 12:22:11 MDT 2009

That's right, Wim!

Just ask Randy Potter...lives in Bend....goes to Portland  a good 200
miles ONE way.  I used to live on an island in Washington.  Having 3 other
RPT's and a couple of "tooners" there, we all had to take a ferry boat sit
in lines, drive great distances and sometimes extrememly long days.  One
of the reasons I became a CAUT! :>)  Home at 5pm everyday (most of the
time) and a 6 mile commute!  However, I'd be pretty PO'd if I made one of
these long journeys just to find nobody home.  I found this more true in
well-to- do neighborhoods.  It simply "slips their minds" somehow.

Paul

wimblees at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
07/15/2009 12:44 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Door open,      but customer not home - what would you do?

Tom said:
First of all, I'd ditch them for being so unreliable.  I'm not going to
drive that far only to find the house empty ever again.  Secondly, I would
never drive that far to tune a piano.  That one tuning almost kills a
whole day!   Four hours of driving, one hour tuning.   Aren't there any
tuners closer to their home you could recommend?
Tom. I'm sorry, and please don't think I am picking on you. but this is
not the answer to the question. I appreciate that you did answer, and you
gave a very good one. But why muddy the waters with a statement like this.
For what ever reason, Joseph had to travel 90 miles. I don't know where he
lives, but in many parts of this country, driving 180 miles round trip to
tune a piano is almost an every day occurrence.

Wim