[pianotech] bass or plainsteel strings?

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Wed Jul 15 11:23:49 MDT 2009

Hi Noah,

As David Porritt mentioned, the hitch pins (and the bridge pins) will
tell you if you have a bichord or a trichord.  However, some cheaper
American pianos of that era (and Currier certainly counts as cheap!)
use both wound bichords and steel bichords in the low tenor.  So, if
you see copper bichords to the left and steel bichords to the right,
you will have to look carefully at the surfaces of the damper felt and
hammer strike point, where the difference will most likely be
discernible.

If copper is the "correct answer," I would advise against using
universal strings, which one of my friends calls "universally wrong."
They never match in timbre, and their inharmonicity is usually so
wildly different that they don't tune well with their neighbors.  Why
"fix" a piano so that it sounds even worse than it did before it
broke? (Yes, for the wise guys out there, it is indeed possible for
even a Currier to sound worse than it did when new!)

If you make accurate and precise measurements of the speaking length
(hitch to speaking bridge pin length, hitch to upper termination,
hitch to tuning pin) of the missing strings and their lower neighbors,
as well as core and wrap diameters for the lower neighbors, plus twist
length near the hitch pin loop, a good string maker ought to be able
to scale and manufacture new strings which will sound much better than
universals.  If four strings in a row broke, though, that may be a
clue that the original scaling was improper.  Ask the string maker to
double-check the breaking percentage of the newly designed strings
before manufacturing them, and to adjust a little for safety if
necessary.  You probably don't want to have the new strings break just
like the old....

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh