[pianotech] bass or plainsteel strings?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 16:25:30 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 4:51 PM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Give up on the Universal strings.   Take measurements, call Mapes or
> favorite string maker...get the string within a week and do it right.   You
> can still tune at the first appointment and come back to install the string.
>   I give them a price including part, shipping and the installation
> appointment.   If you have a ringing damper...I've temporarily installed a
> flat damper or they can tough it out...
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

> From: "Noah Frere" <noahfrere at gmail.com>
> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] bass or plainsteel strings?
>

> >Thanks for your reply. I have also been increasingly dissatisfied with
> >Universal Strings. However, even ordering specific strings often pose
> >troubled matches I've noticed lately. If I receive one more poorly matched
> >string, I'm going to order both bichords...
> >Anyway, I should also have known that since 2 complete notes were out,
> there
> >would be no chance of replacing with Universals, since I need 2 pairs.
> These
> >were indeed copperwound, and I'm afraid since they're at the break that
> the
> >tension may be a bit high. I will ask the stringmaker if he can do
> something
> >about that. I did not measure the adjacent strings.
>
> >On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Joe DeFazio <defaziomusic at verizon.net
> >wrote:
>
> >> Hi Noah,
> >> As David Porritt mentioned, the hitch pins (and the bridge pins) will
> tell
> >> you if you have a bichord or a trichord.  However, some cheaper American
> >> pianos of that era (and Currier certainly counts as cheap!) use both
> wound
> >> bichords and steel bichords in the low tenor.  So, if you see copper
> >> bichords to the left and steel bichords to the right, you will have to
> look
> >> carefully at the surfaces of the damper felt and hammer strike point,
> where
> >> the difference will most likely be discernible.
> >>
> >> If copper is the "correct answer," I would advise against using
> universal
> >> strings, which one of my friends calls "universally wrong."  They never
> >> match in timbre, and their inharmonicity is usually so wildly different
> that
> >> they don't tune well with their neighbors.  Why "fix" a piano so that it
> >> sounds even worse than it did before it broke? (Yes, for the wise guys
> out
> >> there, it is indeed possible for even a Currier to sound worse than it
> did
> >> when new!)
> >>
> >> If you make accurate and precise measurements of the speaking length
> (hitch
> >> to speaking bridge pin length, hitch to upper termination, hitch to
> [...]

 I agree with the others about the universal strings. I use Mapes, I have
them on the speed dial of my cell phone so I can call the specs of the
string in from the piano.
Also I have noticed that Mapes usually offers a deal on the pair when it's
one string in a unison, since the new string will have a better tone than
the old, they recommend replacing both and give you a deal on the price of
both.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404