[pianotech] Door open, but customer not home - what would you do?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 16:49:53 MDT 2009

First of all stop picking on the guy for driving that far for a tuning, been
there done that! I still travel close to 30,000 miles a year covering the
southwest corner of Wisconsin, although I've learned to "group" my tunings
and cut back on the distance some.
I have many customers I've never met and wouldn't know if I tripped over
them, they just leave a door or garage open for me to get in, some of them
never lock their doors.

If I had driven that far for one tuning and gone to all the trouble of
confirming that Joe did, arrived and found I couldn't rouse anyone, I
believe I would have ascertained I had the right place, called the home
number and listened for the phone to ring then entered through the door that
was open near the piano and tuned it.

I would have, as someone else suggested, engaged them when they arrived and
asked why they had left no note on the door or hadn't called me to let me
know they wouldn't be there, explaining that if I hadn't been absolutely
sure I was at the right place and hadn't invested as much of my valuable
time and fuel, etc. I would have left a bill for my lost time and left the
piano undone and not taken the chance of entering their unoccupied home, My
life and liberty are worth far more than that!

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404