[pianotech] Door open, but customer not home - what would you do?

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Jul 15 19:24:30 MDT 2009

I drove 45 minutes to a tuning (1st tuning) and there was no answer
at the door, locked. I didn't walk around the house to find an open door;
the appointment had been made only a few days previous. Stayed 15
minutes (my max), knocking on the door and then left.

Needless to say. "I was pissed!"

Less than a week later I received a call from a mutual friend that the fellow
had fallen in his kitchen due to a stroke and it wasn't until the following day
that someone checked in on him. Had I been there before, I would have
pressed the situation in regards to entry knowing/fearing the possibilities.
(Cape Cod is big retirement community). Some people give me keys,
others tell me where they're hidden.

That rare time, you can be the rescue.

On the barking dog... no way... walk away. Case in point:  "Door left
unlocked".
Arrived, door locked, dog barking.  Walked away, called the customer later and
the 'kids locked the door' but I didn't know that the dog was
confined in a cage.

Got coffee and a much needed piece of chocolate cake. Life is good.

A missed appointment is not lost time, it is valuable free time to linger.

--

Regards,

Jon Page