[pianotech] bass or plainsteel strings?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 13:41:27 MDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:09 PM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I think there is an advantage to making a call from the piano.   Mapes
> usually does a good job.
>
> I don't have email capabilities from my phone, but I can see this might be
> a good thing...how much are people paying for the ability to send emails
> from their phones?   I see a lot of iphone usage...I don't see any need to
> read email from my phone...if someone needs me they have my cell phone...I'd
> like to hear if folks think online ability from their phone is crucial or
> not...?
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

> From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] bass or plainsteel strings?
>

> >Just email the specs to Arledge.  That price is pretty typical but I think
> >they go down in price the more you order.  Mapes takes a different set of
> >specs: loop to start of winding, loop to end of winding.  I guess they
> don't
> >like to calculate for stretch.  If you order from a piano for which they
> >have the scale I don't think they pay attention to the measurements.
>

> >David Love
>
> >www.davidlovepianos.com

I personally, tend to keep my business costs down as much as possible. I
have an answering machine at home, digital, with my cell number on the
message for those who can't wait to be called back. I see no need to be
checking e-mail during the day while I'm working.
I know of one guy in our chapter who doesn't even take cell phone calls
while he's in a customer home. He says he's there on their dime and he has a
message taking function on his phone which he can check when he leaves.

I originally got my phone after arriving home one evening at 6:30 and
finding no one home and message from the police that my wife had been in a
car accident 3 hours earlier. I swore to myself that would never happen
again and got a cell phone the next day, I always answer it, wherever I am.
AT&T, T-mobile & Verizon have just seen fit to enter the market in our
little corner of Wisconsin, we have the choice of US Cellular(the largest
and oldest in this area), Alltel(the next largest/oldest) Sprint and Virgin
Mobile(?) as reliable providers. We have a lot of hills and valleys, coulees
as they're known locally(a Norwegian word) that were all cut by the glaciers
melting as they flowed into the Mississippi thousands of years ago. Until a
cell company has been established a while, has built or made agreements to
use towers around the area, their service can be spotty with a lot of
dropped calls and "no service" areas.
Us Cellular has been my provider and has a 3G network and all of the
capability that the others offer, except Iphones. Which is fine with me, I
don't want or need an Iphone, If I wanted all of the things one of those
would do, I'd get a laptop! More power, bigger keys(I wear an XXlarge glove)
and I already know how to run it! No learning curve!! (grin)

Perhaps the day will come when I feel the need to check email while I'm in a
home or my car but so far I'm not that much of an email junkie.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404