[pianotech] DIY tuning

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 01:44:42 MDT 2009

The other day I had a customer who tried to tune his old Blüthner grand. It was a desaster. But fortunately no string broke, even when some strings were 20 cents sharp (and others 40 cents flat!).

Remember your own first attempts to tune a piano. How long did it take and how hard seemed that? In hindsight I can´t believe that my first tuning took me more than 8 hours (by ear). But I get reminded to these attempts because I have an "apprentice" now. She is a good friend of mine who wants to learn tuning and some other things about piano repair. I show her how to tune with ETD and by ear and it´s very hard for her. But she plays guitar too and so she is used to tune by beats. Therefore she does a good job with the unisons. She comes one day a week and I allways let her tune a temperament by ear and then she checks with verituner. Very frustating! Then I let her tune unisons. Last week she made a complete pitch raise with verituner and it took her 5 hours. That would I call some kind of success :-)  But it´s a long way to go. I am happy that´s possible nowadays to do an excelent tuning with ETD. But it´s necessary that one knows what he is doing. Customers usually don´t know.

Gregor