[pianotech] promo pens

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 21 06:07:54 MDT 2009

I've given out pens for ten years.  I leave the pen on the piano when I leave.  Over the ten years, I've had about two dozen people say, "I'm glad you left that pen.  We lost your number, but then, remembered the pen."
Two dozen in ten years is not a lot, but there are doubtless others who also used the pen to retrieve my number who said nothing.  And I would hope there are others who appreciated the gift of a pen but said nothing.
I don't know if it really helps my repeat business, but it costs 39 cents per pen.  So, if it helps one out of every 270 customers remember my name/number and call me back, I'm even.
On the negative side, I've had people run after me as I get in my car, yelling, "You forgot your pen on the piano!"  And I say, "It's YOUR pen!"  To which they reply, "No, it's not!  It's got your name on it!"
If only my name was Steinway!
Tom SivakChicago