[pianotech] convention - tuning stuff...

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:14:57 MDT 2009

I really liked the tuning on the Kawai for the evening recital - nice work Don M!  I was waaay in the back; the piano had plenty of carry and a good range of tone.  The next morning, I happened to be in Don's basic tuning class and found out how tough the tuning went - the regular dishes clanking at all the wrong times and a ten degree temp. range during the tuning!

Kent Swafford tuned a P22 using the OnlyPure software.  Since I had recently purchased my own copy, I was interested in finding out more about the calculated tunings.  The interface has a killer display for really getting a precise result.  Sadly for me, the overall result hasn't compared to what I can get with the Verituner custom styles.  In fact, my first day tuning back home, my pocket pc with verituner had a fatal hang - I used the OnlyPure on a Kimball upright before I could pick up my verituner box for the rest of the day.  The tuning felt "unpolished" - kindof like a really good one-pass pitch raise that has solid unisons, but the overall sheen and resonance just didn't make it.

Some of us there had some good guessing games trying to take a stab at what the software must be doing!  No hard data yet...

Ron Koval

chicagoland