[pianotech] convention

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Wed Jul 22 22:07:15 MDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM , Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Something I've inadvertently neglected. Frank Emerson (sans Joe
> Swenson???) did a period on inertia and other concepts in action
> design that I found to be very straightforward, competent, and
> informative, and put yet another software acquisition on my ever
> growing want list. Excellent class Frank, thanks for putting the
> obviously considerable time and miles into producing and presenting
> it.
> Ron N

Thanks, Ron.  I meant to mention, at the beginning of the class, that
Joe Swenson would not be participating, but forgot.  All I can say at
this point is that I hope to work with Joe again in the not too distant
future.  We learned a lot from each other and it was a great pleasure
working with him.

Regarding software I have been using SolidWorks for 12 years, and in my
books it is the very best in 3D modeling.  The problem is that the many
add-ins are outrageously expensive.  There is an alternative at a more
modest price.  Alibre has all the add-ins available to SolidWorks at a
third or fourth of the price.  I bought Alibre a few months ago and am
still experimenting with it.  It lacks a lot of the tools that I find
useful in SolidWorks, but makes the more advanced analytical tools more
assessable.  Ultimately, I think the solution for me will be to continue
to use SolidWork as far as I can go with it, and import the SolidWorks
files into Alibre for the more advanced analysis.

Frank Emerson