[pianotech] Vertical Touchweight

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 05:08:48 MDT 2009

One thing that you can try with the hammer return springs is to tip
the action until the hammer weight overcomes the spring tension. You
can then even up the spring tension by seeing where the midpoint of
possible rest positions is. And how far between rest positions will
give an indication of relative friction. What I mean is a light spring
will allow the hammer to be in a lower neutral rest position and more
fiction will allow the hammer to stay in a higher position when lifted
from the neutral rest position.

But you may end up having much more downweight than you planned on. I
think it is good that you removed the spring rail, but since you did
not subtract that weight from your target downweight, when the spring
rail is reinstalled it will be heavier.

I am very interested in how you make out. Sounds like a great project.
I have a console the seems to have been weighted without the keys
having been eased first, and have been wanting to start from scratch.

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.