[pianotech] scratched keytops

Scott Helms, RPT tuner at helmsmusic.net
Fri Jul 24 06:21:35 MDT 2009

Hey list -

It was great to meet some of you face-to-face in Grand Rapids! I have a
customer whose white keytops are scratched. This is a relatively new and
well maintained Kawai grand. I've not actually seen the damage yet, so I
don't know how deep the scratches are. Is it possible to buff out
scratches on plastic keytops without losing their lustre and feel? If so,
what would I use, what would the technique be, and would I have to buff
out all of the naturals or just the 6 or 8 notes that are scratched?
Barring that, would I be able to get by with replacing only the scratched
keytops, or would I need to replace the whole set in order to get a match
in color, feel, and thickness?

Scott
------
Scott A. Helms, Registered Piano Technician
www.helmsmusic.net