[pianotech] Steinway L rebuild question

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sat Jul 25 12:21:37 MDT 2009

Ed  writes:

<<   But the information you give indicates that the hammer bore distance
is _not_ fine. Is the keyframe properly bedded? If so, you need to measure
string height(A) and cener pin height of the hammer flange(B). Bore distance =
A - B.  >>

         This calls up a question.  In order for the above to actually
leave a hammer hitting the string at 90 degrees, it has to be assumed that the
string is parallel to the keybed.  This is rarely the case in the upper two
octaves, where strings rise from the capo to the bridge.  A boring done
strictly on distance between stringheight and center pin height will often
produce a hammer that is leaning distally upon string contact.
     I use a set of measured borings as trials.  That way, I can lift them
up to the string, place a square on the string and compare it to the
centerline of the hammer, which is at 90 degrees to the shank.  This allows me to
tell if the hammer is at 90 degrees to the string upon contact.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking
won't affect your score. See now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.asp
x?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)</HTML>