[pianotech] The REAL Spurlock Jig

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jul 25 12:30:33 MDT 2009

This is the Spurlock let off jig <http://www.spurlocktools.com/id24.htm>  I
use and am familiar with. I love it! I got way too many inconsistent results
using the wooden one Terry shows. This jig is much faster for me and a lot
more accurate.

You set the let off of the end hammers of each section in the piano. For
fine regulating I like to set let off at about the thickness of the string.
Place jig under shanks as shown and adjust the height so the sample shanks
give a slight click when depressing key through let off. Then set all the
rest to get the same slight click. I then set drop by holding down the key,
adjusting drop screw until shank just starts coming off jig, then back down
to jig and about another 1/8-1/4 turn on screw. This gives a near perfect
drop of just below let-off.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272