[pianotech] Backcheck and catcher felts

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Mon Jul 27 13:02:42 MDT 2009

Hi John,

I did this job on a Steinway K two summers ago.  I used a wallpaper remover
solution in a squeeze bottle (it was about a 2 oz bottle with a tapered tip
from Hobby Lobby) and simply saturated the leathers and the felts.  The
leather and the felts held the solution without having to immerse any wooden
parts.  It didn't take many minutes until the material could be taken off
with the fingers.  You might also consider removing as much of the felt as
will break off dry, then applying the solution to what remains, rewetting it
as necessary, since there isn't as much material to hold the solution there.
That's not what I did, but you might find some advantage.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter

John Dorr wrote:

Hi,

I've got a job replacing ALL catcher leathers and backcheck felts in a
Steinway vertical . . .