[pianotech] Backcheck and catcher felts

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 22:50:20 MDT 2009

I had this job last year, and my solvent of choice is watered down formula
409. But I'm sure there are other treatments that work well. I wouldn't pull
any of the felt off first, it just seems to make the part dry out faster
reducing the effect of the removal fluid.

The only place I've been able to find good vertical back-check felt is from
Jurgen at Piano Forte Supply. I replaced the catcher leather with Eskaine
from Pianotek.

This may sound cheezy, but I've had great luck with glue stick for gluing on
catcher leather. Since this is application doesn't require high strength,
I'm not worried about it coming off. Once its dried it feels very secure. It
doesn't soak into the material, its easy to manipulate the manipulate the
material for a minute or two to get it centered, its easy to apply, and its
non toxic. If you get hungry, you can eat it just like we did in preschool!

For the back check felt I like hot hide glue.

Have fun! Is the reason you are replacing it due to noise? That's the
problem my client's piano had. Really clicky all throughout. That combined
with the fact that the hammers had not been properly laquered made for a
really awful combination - clicky and too soft at the same time.

It was a fun job because without too much work the piano was transformed and
the people were super happy and felt that they got a real bargain! I did
insist on having the piano in my shop.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter