[pianotech] scaling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 28 21:09:03 MDT 2009

> Ok so I refer to some books, pull out some formulae and get garbage for
> results no matter what formula I use.  I even got my nerdy brother to
> help and I'm afraid that just generated more questions and no foward
> movement.  (he's an engineer)

Ah, there's part of the problem. <G>

> "The Calculating Technician" and "A Restringing Guide" are two books
> I've pulled formulas out of so far.
>
> A440 note number A49, length of 15.75 inches and A220, note A37 length
> of 29.375 inches are two notes I've used just to get the formula up and
> running.  I should have a string tension of somewhere in the
> neighborhood of 160  (155 to 170 roughly) and I'm so far off using ANY
> formula that there's something amiss somewhere.

Define "something", and "somewhere". My crystal ball is
recession sensitive. It only works when the cash is pouring in
the windows faster than I can shovel. Not just yet, in other
words.

This is a relatively short scale, where 150lbs per wire string
looks more in the ballpark. I'd say hire someone conversant in
scaling to build one from ALL available measurements, like ALL
speaking lengths and core/wrap diameters from the bass strings.

Or guess.
Ron N