[pianotech] Jack and Damper Spring Tension Targets

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Wed Jul 29 04:50:29 MDT 2009

Hi David,

No, I have already adjusted the pinning so that the jack will fall under its
own weight when not influenced by the spring.  But I read in the archives
(Don Mannino's January post, I think) that some pianos were manufactured
with excessively strong jack springs, and this piano seems to have symptoms
that point in that direction.  Should I identify that the tension is indeed
excessive, the only I solution I can think of would be to replace the jack
springs with something more appropriate. One does, of course, eventually
come up against the law of diminishing returns, but I would like to at least
be skilled in evaluating the variables that face me as I seek to diagnose a
problem action.

Floyd Gadd

David Ilvedson wrote:

You are actually reading the jack spring tension and then repinning for
correct tension?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044