[pianotech] Jack and Damper Spring Tension Targets

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Wed Jul 29 05:03:25 MDT 2009

Hi Gregor,

Ted's CAUT post of Oct 15/07 is quoted below.  He was responding to a post
from David Ilvedson, as noted.

What I'm exploring here is new ground for me, and I'm trying to establish
points of reference.

Thanks for your interest!

Floyd Gadd

Gregor wrote:

That´s what I was wondering about, too. And how do you do it? Do you
dismount the whippen including the jack for measuring?

Concerning the damper spring: 40 grams on which damper? Bass or treble?

Gregor

[CAUT] Upright geometry problem (Nordiska)
Ted Sambell edward.sambell at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 15 13:25:30 MDT 2007

Several years ago I attended the Europiano convention in Germany, at which
engineers from Schimmel dealt with this question. For the jacks, simply use
a force gauge, placing the feeler on the jack heel and moving the jack
forward  with it. The recommended reading is 30 grams, not more. To check
the damper springs, mount the action on the bench horizontally with the
dampers uppermost and use the force gauge on the damper felt to press
downwards about the distance of the damper lift. The optimum reading is 40
grams. The engineers said that increasing the spring strength above this
does not improve damping efficiency. In my experience I have found that
excessive spring strength also causes hammer bobbling.

Ted Sambell