[pianotech] Bench vs. In the piano regulation

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 29 09:39:49 MDT 2009

Jim I asked: "Similarly, I can regulate a very nice consistent backcheck line on the
bench, with bedding approximately reproduced, but not quite...then the
action goes into the piano and bingo I wasted my time.

What am I missing here?"

Jim I,
I had a similar  situation early on. Here's my  solution: 1. raise  the  glides all the way  up  on  the the  bench. 2. Clamp the  frame solidly to the bench @ the cheek  block pins.  I use springy  12"-16" hickory  sticks  that  are placed on the  CB pins and  the flat of the bench, placing clamp in mid  point.  3.  bed action frame to the  bench. (Of  course,  one needs to ascertain the the bench is either dead flat or has a  controllable/reproducable upwards curve. [don't ask<G>][but of course you will<G>]) 4.  be absolutely sure that the String Target Jig is solidly  anchored with  mucho LEAD!  And is adjusted correctly  for each  section. Some of the String Targets marketed today are  way too light, IMHO!
If you have done  all the regulation  steps, correctly, you  should not have a  problem. HOWEVER,  there are  those grands that have a really crappy key bed that is all out of whack  and any  thing you  do outside of the piano  is just spinning your wheels. There are those  and  there is not a darned thing you  can to  about that, except "suck it up" and do the final regulation  IN the piano.

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I