[pianotech] Re;slippery keys

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 29 18:44:24 MDT 2009

Tom  said: "My client is sensing that his keys are slicker than other pianos. I was
ready to disprove that, but I am sensing his discomfort, too. He said nothing
has ever been used on the keys. I tried a few experiments, but nothing
worked. It's an ivory-top one-owner Steinway, 1960ish. Even the sharps. Makes
one suspicious, doesn't it.

Does anyone have any ideas, outside of dipping fingers in chicken fat
before each use."

Tom,
Sounds like  a  HAND CREAM thingee! If'n there's a lady  using  the piano, it would  be  very likely.  Have had  numerous  problems with certain types of   hand lotions.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police