[pianotech] Downbearing question

Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 07:08:49 MDT 2009

Thanks Will. I usually read about 5 to 8 thousandths with my dial gauge
micrometer and wasn't sure if 10 to 12 was too much.

Mike, the measurement is within one inch on either side of the bridge. I use
a string to set the downbearing, but I like to check it when it's strung
with a dial gauge micrometer. The readings are lower on a "B" or "D" of
course, but pretty consistent on smaller pianos. After I set the downbearing
and restring the piano I usually get about 6 to 8 thousandths in the bass
and tenor and about 20 to 25 in the treble with my dial gauge.

The reason I need to replace the strings, is someone killed the bass strings
by trying to clean them with some kind of cleaner. I decided to replacing
the wire strings because I don't want two different size tuning pins and
also to replace the agraffes and polish the v-bar which I can do without
pulling the plate.

Al G