[pianotech] Downbearing question

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Jul 30 16:48:31 MDT 2009

Hi Al:

I popped my answer out as I was running out the door this morning.
Downbearing is a force, and distance bearing (what we are talking about
here) is a measure that allows one to calculate the amount of force with
which the string is pressing down against the bridge.

I have used a Fowler dial gauge to quickly take bearing values for almost 30
years.  I find it useful in the field as a quick diagnostic tool,
particularly for things like voicing.  I can often hear problems of
excessive or inadequate bearing when tuning and voicing, and dropping the
gauge on the bridge often confirms what my ear is hearing.  This can keep
you from barking up the wrong tree in voicing - trying to fix the hammer to
fix a problem that is really in the soundboard system, and where you can
make the piano sound worse rather than better.

I don't know how the span of your feet on your gauge compares to mine, but
if they are different, then each of us would get a different reading on the
same piano.  And the time of year has an effect - you will generally get
more of a reading in the summer compared to the winter.  My guess is that
your readings are in a good range.

Will