[pianotech] String elongation/Fenner article

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 30 11:18:01 MDT 2009

Jim Busby wrote:
> Del, and others interested,
>

> Here is the (rather long) article about “string elongation” by Klaus
> Fenner. About the 10^th line down he starts on elongation. Vince Mrykalo
> found this and has been studying/experimenting and seems to think this
> is a valid issue as far as a stable tuning goes, and that Fenner has
> good logic. I’ve heard that you might not be a fan, but here it is anyway.

We've discussed this dozens of times on pianotech, only from
the viewpoint of break% rather than elongation. The greater
the elongation under the tension necessary to produce the
required pitch, the higher the break%, and the more stable the
tuning. F-2 in a Steinway B is a prime example of too low
break%/elongation, and the tonal and tuning stability result.

> I’m not sure if this (“string elongation”) would have any bearing on the
> Steck piano’s stability I posted pictures of last week, but it seems
> like it might.

If anything, assuming getting rid of that yard of felt under
the strings, the long front scale should mean that the overall
string is longer, so the effect of a given string length
change (seasonal, from wood reaction to humidity) has a
relatively smaller affect on overall string tension, and the
unisons should stay in tune better. Now if it only had a
decent length back scale...
Ron N