[pianotech] String elongation/Fenner article

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jul 31 16:53:34 MDT 2009

Jim Busby wrote:

> I'll go throw rocks at the article now; I think the short
> backscale thing is ludicrous because of my actual
> experience with it, so if that leads me to wonder if
> anything in it is worth studying.
>
> Thanks. Jim

There just doesn't seem to be much in it at all, once you fan
the smoke away. He says there are sufficient acoustical
arguments against the excessive length of dead ends, but
doesn't mention what any of them might be, where my experience
is long back scales are acoustically beneficial to soundboard
movement. No argument, to my ear. Then he argues for longer
dead ends to provide an elongation buffer, throwing in lots of
numbers that aren't seemingly illustrative of what he's
saying. At least I lost him at the third switchback.

I do think it's an interesting concept to have long front and
back scales on lower break% strings to somewhat counteract the
tuning instability, but I doubt it is of any real practical
value. Better to just draw up a decent scale in the first
place, that doesn't need tricks to work. Of greater interest
to me is the practice of individual ties on all strings,
staggering the hitches to correspond with the pattern at the
tuning pins, so all string lengths in each unison are the same
length. That looks to me to have more potential for enhancing
tuning stability, assuming the break% is already under
control. But then, I'm more convinced every year, that
laminated bridge caps, or bridge agraffes, will make a huge
difference too.

My take,
Ron N