[pianotech] Tokai Pianos

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Jun 1 13:57:42 MDT 2009

Hi all,

What a surprise that the wippens broke where they did.

The 'designer' that conceived those wippens should have been shot
before he got anywhere near the drawing space. The relative
positioning of the wippen heel and the jack stop/repetition stop
screw mounting block on the body of wippen will ensure that a
destructive combination of tensile forces are located right where the
wippens broke. Those wipps won't be the last you'll need to glue back
together Ken. It might be worth suggesting to the client that he/she
bite the bullet and allow you to fit a set of standard maple or
hornbeam wippens from a reputable part maker. They look like a
standard wipp' with 99 mm between the jack and wippen flange centres.
You should be able to get something that screws straight in, but do
check the hammer/key ratio as well. I wouldn't assume that anything
is set up correctly.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY