[pianotech] Repairing Bridge

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Tue Jun 2 22:55:14 MDT 2009

In a message dated 6/2/2009 8:43:54 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

...   As I mentioned, the pattern can be useful for alignment and spacing
(though  not always) and is worth making as an insurance policy.   ...
I agree that a pattern is a  really good idea, even when laying out from
scratch.

In addition, we like  to check the current layout by doing the
stretching-a-string-from-agraffe-to-hitch thing (as if we were laying out  the scale)
after the bridge pins are out but before the  cap or bridge comes off.
Sometimes it points out little compromises the maker  has made in order to make
the string layout tidier or more uniform. For  instance, sometimes the hitch
pin line has to dodge around a plate strut. The  maker will not slavishly
follow a perfect line from agraffe to hitch, but will  smooth things out (the
side bearing has to be attended to manually on each note  that isn't in a
perfect line).

Or the hitch pin line isn't  perfect, or the agraffe spacing isn't perfect.
In this case it's easy to see  what has been fudged to make the bridge
layout prettier, and one can copy it if  desired. In a good piano it's usually
done pretty neatly, and a pre-layout makes  it easy to spot.

Bob D

**************Shop Inspiron, Studio and XPS Laptops at Dell.com
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222616459x1201464730/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.d
oubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215218145%3B37264238%3Bd)