[pianotech] string replacement

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Thu Jun 4 05:39:29 MDT 2009

I just replaced "nine" broken treble strings in a grand (Samick) piano in a
church where the strings were broken for several years SO the dampers had
been knocked out of alignment. Five bass strings were also broken and one
piece of the felt had been knocked off also - 3 1/2 hours getting all the
strings back on.  No, I didn't remove any dampers. It is easy if you are
careful to get the strings in and under the dampers. As was said, just be
careful. It helps sometime to remove the action (uprights and grand) to
access the strings easier. Spinets are another operation altogether!

Ken Gerler