[pianotech] string replacement

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 4 06:03:48 MDT 2009

I only remove actions on verticals just to get it out of the way.  The
dampers go with the action on these..   Otherwise, no, I never remove the
dampers ever.

On grands, you slide the string around the side of the damper so it goes
under it on the correct side of the wire.  If you put it on the wrong side
of the damper wire, you will bend the wire so look first.  Don't forget to
put the string through the agraffe before you insert it into the pin.  We've
all done that on occasion.

It isn't necessary to remove the action or dampers on grands.  Just make
sure you have the correct size wires if they are tenor or treble wires and
copy the amount of coils on the exisiting tuning pins and make them nice,
neat and tight with beckets pointing the same direction as the others.  If
you want to be safe as you are sliding the string under the wire, push down
on the sustaining pedal to lift the dampers up.  The sting will slide under
it easier without catching the felt.  But, you have to keep an eye on it
regardless.

Make sure the wire is in the tuning pin far enough.   Personally, I usually
let it stick out about 1/16" or so because on the first turn, it will suck
it in flush, or further as the wire bends when the tuning pin is turned.

Make sure you put pressure on the string, lots of it as it turns to help the
coil bend and keep it from just turning into a "messed up loop."

Also count out about 3 full turns maybe even 4 depending on the piano.
Count the coils on it now.  Some have 4 coils around the tuning pins some
have 3 others have 2.5 coils. I prefer 3 myself but, I will copy what it is
there on that particular piano so it looks exactly the same as the others
when I'm done.

Before you tighten up the coil, give a push or two with a flat nosed pliers
to bring the coil becket tight and flush to the tuning pin again and pull up
on the coil while you tighten it putting sideway's pressure onto the string
as it bends.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Groot RPT