[pianotech] string replacement

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Jun 4 10:59:58 MDT 2009

On 6/4/09, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Which begs the question...how many are making their coil on a dummy tuning
> pin and backing out the tuning pin only 1 turn instead of 3?   It took me
> awhile to start doing that, but now it's automatic...although, for some
> reasons it's harder (for me) on uprights...

I make the coil on a dummy pin, also.  The reason that uprights are
generally more difficult is because of the proximity of the pressure
bar. Once you've made the coil (probably while hitting tuning pins
with the bottom end of the dummy pin), you have to slip it off and
stretch it up over the right pin while maintaining enough tension on
the wire to keep it from flipping off the hitchpin.  The mostest fun
will be with the bottom pin...

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
Luther College, 700 College Dr.,