[pianotech] Cracked Plate Thing

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jun 5 07:44:10 MDT 2009

I agree with others that the crack is likely to not be a major issue, BUT, especially being that the pitch is all over the place, I'd sure want to spell out to the piano recipient that it could go either way and that you really won't be able to say with any confidence until you see how stable the piano is after bringing it up to standard pitch - i.e. make sure she understands there is some risk.

I often tell people who are considering a "free" piano this: A "free" piano is often a lot like a "free" kitten or puppy. Yes, it costs you nothing to buy, but on your way home you stop at the vet and shell out $600 for worming, fleas, skin rashes, ear infections, etc., etc.. And even then, a puppy is a lot easier to transport than a large piano.

Terry Farrell