[pianotech] sluggish (was no subject)

Keith McGavern kam544 at allegiance.tv
Fri Jun 5 17:59:10 MDT 2009

On Jun 5, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Matthew Todd wrote:

>  I then held the key and moved the backcheck, and it returned fine.

Matthew,

I assume in this test you were attempting to eliminate the wippen
flange as being the cause of the sluggishness.
You may have done this and didn't say it in your post, but you also
need to disconnect the bridle strap and hold the hammer assembly
towards the strings as well as holding the key to feel sluggishness in
the wippen flange when you lift it somewhat up and down.

Aside from this test, most likely you have a key weight problem,
especially if you do determine the flange centers and the key bushings
are basically free. It is not an uncommon situation in some Wurlitzer
vertical pianos. Also, nested bushings are very possible as the angle
of the keyarm can be quite severe in some of these pianos in the
treble section.

Sincerely,

Keith