[pianotech] Call Wurlitzer? (Lubricant)

Cliff Lesher lesher at dejazzd.com
Sat Jun 6 13:47:15 MDT 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 11:01 AM, pgmilkie at juno.com wrote:

> Please correct me if I am wrong,
>
> Baldwin bought Wurlitzer in the late 90s. Today they are owned by
> Gibson.
>
> Paul Milkie

I believe Baldwin bought Wurlitzer in 1988 and Gibson got Baldwin in
2001 from GE (capital).

Wurlitzers haven't been made here in quite a while.  Come to think of
it, I don't believe Baldwins are made in the U. S. as of earlier this
year.  I don't think a request of Gibson for Wurlitzer sauce would
get much of a response.

If any of that Wurlitzer liquid is still around, maybe one of the
more recent Wurlitzer stencilers (Sejung, Samick, Young Chang) would
have some.  However, I'd first dial Guangzhou.  When Wurlitzer went
out of business, some of its Holly Springs machinery was bought by
Pearl River and I think it's still in use in China.  Maybe a few
bottles of the elixir, or its recipe, was included.

I don't know why anyone would go to this trouble unless, of course,
he wanted to preserve the integrity, after lubing the centers, of
declaring the instrument a genuine Wurlitzer.

Cliff Lesher
Winfield, PA