[pianotech] Glue for hammers - question

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 7 21:23:24 MDT 2009

Ron-

I don't understand your reply.

My impression is that as long as the glue holds the hammer on the shank
without rattling or wobbling, that is probably adequate for tonal purposes.
Other factors may cause someone to choose a particular glue.

Since the claim is sometimes made that hide glue is "acoustically superior,"
I'd like to hear the evidence (pun intended.)

Having used hide glue, carpenter's yellow glue (both straight out of the
bottle and thickened) and Titebond Molding glue, my impression is that they
all sound fine, as long as you get enough in the joint to make a good bond.
If something is better, I'll adopt it.

Incidentally, Mr. Thorndahl said that with a few household chemicals, he
could make hide glue behave like most of the bottled glues. I hope to get
with him on this some day. I'd like to reduce my shop clutter.

Ed