[pianotech] Glue for hammers - question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jun 7 21:35:27 MDT 2009

Ed Sutton wrote:
> Ron-
>
> I don't understand your reply.
>
> My impression is that as long as the glue holds the hammer on the shank
> without rattling or wobbling, that is probably adequate for tonal
> purposes. Other factors may cause someone to choose a particular glue.

Hi Ed,
That's it. An acoustically superior hammer glue joint doesn't
seem to be evident to anyone except to those who say it is. I
haven't seen or heard anything definitive yet either, but that
doesn't seem to affect the claims. Maybe it's a bat thing, and
my hearing doesn't work in the right range.

> Incidentally, Mr. Thorndahl said that with a few household chemicals, he
> could make hide glue behave like most of the bottled glues. I hope to
> get with him on this some day. I'd like to reduce my shop clutter.
>
> Ed

I like hide glue just the way it is, personally.
Ron N