[pianotech] Ron N. design update

Jude Reveley (Absolute Piano) juderev at verizon.net
Mon Jun 8 19:15:18 MDT 2009

I don't think the top really needs much. It's more the bass that's giving me a hard time. I tried a very moderate juicing 8:1 acetone to lacquer. I also tried some "battery voicing" ala Andre Oorebeek. Finally I experimented with 4:1 acetone:lacquer on the shoulders for one hammer, a dousing from the core on another, and just on the tip with some key dope on yet another. The dousing gave me the closets to what I'm looking for but still not as good as the string sounds when I strike it with a Renner Blue. I think Ronsens Wurzen or VFG, perhaps even the Weickert would have been a better choice.

What ratio & technique have you used successfully with the Bacon felt, David?

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
www.absolute-piano.com