[pianotech] Ron N. design update

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jun 8 19:52:44 MDT 2009

I use a 10:1 solution but it's a high solids lacquer so the ratio is less
meaningful.  Typically I will lacquer the entire hammer in the bass section
and about the upper 1/3 of the piano.  Often the last octave gets two
applications.  I apply only from the sides as I don't want anything getting
to the crown but I do want it under the crown.   Flexible shoulders, firm
under the crown is what I like.  Bacon felt hammer lack the firmness under
the crown.  With the monochords in the bass you can go over the top and soak
the hammer.  Similarly in the top treble just soak the hammer right over the
crown.  Be more cautious as you ascend the bichords and if you have a
transition bridge be careful over the crown there as well.   Allow the
lacquer to cure for at least a week before making a final judgment as the
lacquer continues to harden.  In fact, I prefer to wait longer combined with
some playing time.  The hammers will develop as the lacquer continues to
harden.  If you can be patient you will be better off.

If you need a bit more bite in the bass use some keytop solution and a
couple of drops on the crown.  It needles out better if you don't like it
but don't use it to soak the hammer.  For some reason it doesn't work as
well I find.

On these boards as you describe the Renner blue tends to be too hard through
the tenor and treble and I think they are the wrong type of shape for some
Steinways.  Too round.  Round is good on some pianos where the upper
partials tend to be too dominant but on many Steinways you often want more
upper partial development so a bit more pointy helps, I think.

The Weickert felt works well on these boards with less manipulation
(hardening) required.  But the Bacon felt, once it develops, has a very
luscious and warm sound and will develop plenty of power though it won't
blow you out of the water.  It won't be the right hammer if they like a big
pop and lots of brightness, but for a round, warm tone they are great.  Just
as an example I put a set on a 1980s Steinway B recently, small home, didn't
want too much power.  It was a bit soft at first but with some judicious
hardening and a player who practices a couple of hours a day the piano is
now incredible, the voicing very stable and he wouldn't trade it for
anything.  Original board though I did some work when I restrung it with new
treble bridge cap, increased bridge height, modified scaling, minor stuff.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com