[pianotech] Speed drying treated flanges

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 12:11:20 MDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Paul T Williams <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
> wrote:

> Or would you say " a more Protek-ed life!!"
>
> Sorry...I just had to!...Long day... I go now!! Me hunt dinner.
>  eat...sleep..me hunt tomorrow
> Paul
>

>   *Paul T Williams <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>*
> Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
>
> 06/08/2009 04:42 PM
>    Please respond to
> pianotech at ptg.org

> pianotech at ptg.org  cc
>   Subject
> Re: [pianotech] Speed drying treated flanges
>

> Me too...in a way.  I've always, when gotten to this point. replace with
> new parts.  Lucky I guess.
>
> Paul
>

>   *Barbara Richmond <piano57 at comcast.net>*
> Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
>
> 06/08/2009 04:26 PM
>   Please respond to
> pianotech at ptg.org

> pianotech at ptg.org  cc
>   Subject
> Re: [pianotech] Speed drying treated flanges
>

> Yeah, I've repinned plenty of actions, I'd just never done this shrinking
> thing before.  Guess I've lived a very protected life...
>
> :-)
>
> Barbara

 Hi Barbara,

I do this sort of thing all of the time, we seem to have a plethora of those
'70's vintage Worlitzers around here with the tight action centers. I use a
50/50 alcohol water mix. If they are real tight, like the one I just did, I
let time do the work and let them dry slowly over about 3 days in my shop.
My shop has 2 dehumidifiers running to keep it at about 35 to 40% RH.

If they aren't all that tight but still sluggish I'll treat them allow them
to sit a few hours to overnight then dry them with a blow dryer.

I have a heat gun but my concern is it may be TOO hot, could soften glue
joints or cause other problems(DAMHIK) that I've never experienced with my
trusty blow dryer($2 at a garage sale).

Nice little setup you've got there!

Mike
- -
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404