[pianotech] What glue....

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Jun 9 13:54:56 MDT 2009

I do like the "Scotch Glue" made by Sheppey in the UK.
htttp://www.sheppeyindustries.co.uk/adhesives/scotch.htm

It has been sold by both the UK piano spply houses, by Fletcher and
Newman as "Winstick" and by Heckschers, cheekily, as "Wilstick", but by
a little detective work I found out that both of those were Sheppey
Scotch glue.  It's animal glue in jelly form, like very stiff jello.

I like it because you can have some of it in a very small jar, which
will melt very quickly in a small bowl of hot water in the customer's
home. Or what I like to do for a single small repair sometimes, is just
to melt some in an old spoon with the casting lamp, like some mad crack
fiend. I have used the liquid hide glue in the past, but the Sheppey
Scotch glue has a faster "tack" time.

JD, if you're reading this, I know you don't really approve....

Best regards,

David.

 >I have used Franklin's bottled hide glue on occasion over the years,
similar to the way Will Truitt described and never had a problem with
it. I do check for the manufacture date on the bottle and >dutifully
discard it after the one year mark.

 >My primary uses ar in customer homes or for a single job, one bushing,
damper, etc. in the shop or customer home. It's much faster than cooking
up a batch of glue for that one one loose key >bushing, damper that
needs regluing or other odd item that pops up.

http://www.sheppyindustries.co.uk/adhesives/scotch.htm