[pianotech] bridgepins Steinway B

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jun 9 16:07:32 MDT 2009

Hello, Danny,

I don't think the problem is as big as you might think.  Although...a
Hamburg Steinway only 15 years old should not have any bridge splits, so
you might have a good sense of what may develop over the next few years.
It is a simple fix, but why would a bridge split so soon?  The repair is
fairly simple with some CA glue applied to the base of the offending pins
and some heat to help the glue "sink" in to the wood.  On the back of the
bridge, it really wouldn't cause a problem if the repair is handled
carefully. I'm still wondering why such a young piano would have such
splits?  You may have been wise to tell your client to avoid the piano.

Do please tell what happens next!

Best,

Paul

"danny boddin" <danny.boddin at pandora.be>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
06/09/2009 01:08 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

"Pianotech" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc
dannyyahoo <dannyboddinpianoservice at yahoo.com>
Subject
[pianotech] bridgepins Steinway B

Hi list,
Last week a had to give my opinion on a Hamburg Steinway B °1996, for sale
 . The instrument has always  been kept in a normal living environnement.
The hammers had been reshaped recently resulting in a lack of dynamic and
volume in sound.
I noticed also, in  the bass and treblebridge, at many bridgepins, a small
crack in the wood. More specific each crack at the backpin of the bridge,
I mean at the non speaking part of the strings.
In your opinion is this a problem for the future ? Myself I advised the
custommer not to buy this piano.
I’ll beappy to get more opinions on this.
Thanks,
Danny
Ternat, Belgium