[pianotech] Wurlitzer Console

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Fri Jun 12 06:29:14 MDT 2009

Matthew,
Conrad is right on the money with his reply. I will add that these screws
are about 5" long and one is a different length than the others.As Conrad
has said keep the spacers and the screws in order. The breakage issue is a
facter. If the heads are silver colored there is less to worry about. The
screws more likely to break have a "Blued" look similar to a tuning pin.
When I give a proposal for any procedure that requires action removal on
these things I first back all four screws part way out . If  the screw
twists back when you release the pressure on the screw driver and the thing
feels like silly putty that's the warning sign.
 We have scads of these here in the North East and as Conrad has mentioned a
screw can break, but  in my experience this is still a rare occurance.
The other factor although unrelated is that most of these have rubber
grommets that fit into the fork at the back of the key. They are often
petrified or at least on the way and can be noisy before you touch them and
worse after. They are cheap and easy to replace. I carry a few in my kit to
demonstrate to the client . I would plan on replacement .
 As to the broken screw and it's removal  and subsequent replacement you can
cut a slot with a small cold chisel and back the thing out or use an easy
out . Despite the fact that the screw broke the remaining section is
generally not frozen in the block and will come out without much trouble.
You will not find this length roundhead  screw in the hardware store . I use
1/4" lag screws  which are the same  diameter and are available at the
aforementioned hardware store in the lengths that you need , Cut a slot in
the head with a hacksaw for your screw driver and problem solved.
If you are reusing the original screws put a little VJ on the threads and
turn the screw anti-clockwise until you hear-feel that click before turning
them in.
Lots -o -fun.
 Tom Driscoll

P.S. Check for loose tuning pins in the bass. Up here the non-bass pins can
be just fine and the bass sometimes too loose. Also make sure you have a
thin-wall tuning head-tip. The first several notes in the tenor section have
a very crowded tuning pin field and if anyone has replaced a pin with an
oversize one the thinwall might be needed.

From: "Conrad Hoffsommer"