[pianotech] Hammer rest felt

Keith McGavern kam544 at allegiance.tv
Sat Jun 13 10:25:21 MDT 2009

On Jun 13, 2009, at 2:23 AM, Rob McCall wrote:

> It appears as if the hammer rest felt has been displaced to the
> sides by the hammer shank.  This occurs only in the bass section and
> it occurs off and on throughout the range from A0 to A#2.  The tenor
> section to the high treble looks fine.
>
> Any input, ideas, or things I should look for as to the cause of
> this would be greatly appreciated.  I should be able to get back to
> this piano in about 2-3 weeks due to their scheduling.

Rob,

The first impression I had from your pic was the hammer shanks are
actually in contact with those felts indicating the hammer distance to
strings is too great. From my understanding of grand regulation, the
shanks should be suspended above those felts somewhat while
maintaining a ballpark hammer distance to strings parameter. If that
parameter cannot be achieved without the shanks resting on the felts,
I would suspect a trimming of the felts would be in order.

Keith