[pianotech] Hammer rest felt

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sat Jun 13 10:42:15 MDT 2009

Thank you, Ed...

The motion appears fine with no sagging keys.  No hammers are dragging
either. A few hammers did look slightly out of alignment but with the
deep grooves cut into the top of the hammers, it appears to have been
that way for a long time. The letoff and aftertouch appear fine.  I
didn't check the hard blows but I will.  I didn't hear any clicking
sounds from the action. In fact, the action is fairly quiet compared
to most that I've played.  The blow distance I measured to be 50mm on
average. The book I have on regulation specified 47.5mm for this
model. I don't know how much of that is because of the flattened
hammers, but the hammer line appears uniform throughout the entire
piano.

My fear was that (being in a HS environment) someone spilled a liquid
inside the piano over those felts, causing them to swell up somewhat,
then the hammer shanks started in on them and eventually pushed them
aside.

Additionally, the inside of the piano is, well... filthy.  The
director asked me to write up a proposal to bring the piano back to
where it belongs. Cleaning, repairing, etc. She knows I'm fairly new,
but being a teacher, I believe she sees this as an excellent learning
opportunity for me, as well.  I don't take that trust lightly and I
want to make sure I give her the service she requires.

As an aside, and hopefully a supplement to my background, I've played
piano for over 40 years in various jazz combos, solo piano, etc.  I
was trained classically for 14 years but then discovered jazz and my
love for the piano really took off. Three or four times a year, I play
as the accompanist for the above choirs for their concerts,
competitions , musicals, etc. so I've developed a personal
relationship of trust with them and I want to make sure I keep it!

Thanks again,

Rob McCall