[pianotech] Hammer rest felt

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 13 12:16:26 MDT 2009

Rob-

Way to go! I like your approach.

Either the felts are too high, or the hammer shanks are comng down too low.
The questions are "Why?" and "Does it matter?"

It may just be that the wippen cushions have become dented, or it may be
something a bit odd. GH series aren't very good pianos, and there may have
been a mistake in manufacturing. [For example, I've seen two Baldwin
"Artist" series pianos with low set plates, requiring that the capstans be
cranked way down to get blow distance, because the factory installed
pre-hung hammers, bored for the correct plate height.]

But first, just do a sample regulation on a few notes, using your experience
to recognize optimal regulation. Check the specs, but trust your judgement.
Then look to see where the hammer shanks are. If they are above the felt,
problem is solved. 2.5mm may do the trick. If the shanks are still at or
below the felt level, keep looking. Perhaps all you need is to trim the
felts, or even just iron them down a little.

Friendly relationships with schools, such as you describe, can provide good
learning experience.

Ed S.