[pianotech] crown and radius

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Jun 14 15:55:56 MDT 2009

> The math part's covered, now the concept part. If the crown is a constant
> radius circle segment, undistorted by load, the high point of the crown
> can't be anywhere BUT in the center of the rib.
>
> Ron N

My concept is probably as good as my math. I try to locate the high points
where the bridge is within reason. Lo-tenor and bass bridges will generally
straddle the high points, middle of the long bridge centered on high points
and the treble is whatever I can get away with but the high point cannot
move as close to the belly rail as the bridge does - have not used a fish
yet but do use cut off bar to center the moving part of the board on the
long bridge.
Maybe 60 - 70% of the ribs have the high points dead center on the total rib
length.
If the high points were all centered on the ribs there would be less ribs
with their high points centered on the bridge.
I know I am missing something here.
Gene