[pianotech] crown and radius

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jun 14 16:11:50 MDT 2009

Gene Nelson wrote:

> My concept is probably as good as my math. I try to locate the high
> points where the bridge is within reason.

How do you do that? By adding the bass cutoff that shortens
the ribs, you can center the bridge on the rib (or more
accurately center the rib on the bridge) and put it on the
high point. If the bridge falls in the middle of the bridge,
it's on the high point. If not, it isn't, and there isn't a
thing you can do with a rib of uniform radius crown to move
the high point off center. How are you "locating" the high
points to accommodate the bridge?

> If the high points were all centered on the ribs there would be less
> ribs with their high points centered on the bridge.

If your crowns are uniform radius circle segments, the high
points couldn't be anywhere other than in the rib center.

> I know I am missing something here.

You're not alone. For some reason I'm not getting, this is a
difficult concept for a whole lot of people.
Ron N